Wednesday, March 2, 2011

An Accoustical Experience

March 1, logged 3 hours 15 minutes at Roberto Clemente

For my ideal public art project, I would construct an audible experience in an urban core. And then I would allow communities within a city to build upon it. Here's how it would work. I would divide the city into geographic zones. Within each zone, place an acoustical device that could be heard throughout the zone. The zones would be drawn with acoustical principles in mind.

I think this project offers a hybrid of the permanent and ephemeral installations -- not a permently visual interruption and more permanent than David Antin's skypoems. But I don't think it compromises the disruptive nature of the aesthetic -- which is oppositional but not combative.

In the first zone, I would install an carillon bell system either in an existing building or new construction depending on the location. Throughout the zone I would set up small pedestrian stations with a single button that activates the bells. They would play the song dedicated to that particular station. If a song is playing, the station's request would simply be queued. I would also provide a manual keyboard at the bells to allow a player to perform pieces.

That would be my contribution. The residents and businesses of each zone could then come together and decide what kind of acoustical device or player to establish in their area with stations similar to the original one. They could erect a pipe organ, a symphonic orchestra or something else. I would leave it up to them. Through my "unlimited" funds, I would help them organize community meetings where individuals, agencies and businesses could develop their vision and then apply for the funds to make it happen. Their projects would have to meet a loose set of parameters: that the acoustics be loud enough to be heard -- to disrupt idle worrying -- but not encumber conversations or compromise pedestrian and traffic safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment